processor G3

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 20:11:04 -0500

Dr. Hacker:

This is slightly off topic... Okay, it's completely off topic. :-)

David C. Hacker, DVM wrote:
> I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of
> upgrading the iMac. [...] and each time it only takes
> about 30 minutes start to finish.
> Just my 2 cents worth.

My opinion that iMacs are tough to work on is from hearsay and from the
one time I had my iMac in the shop. I had purchased a brand new 300 MHz
iMac from Apple, and when it arrived everything worked perfectly, except
that it had no sound. Since Apple's policy is to fix rather than to
return (grrr...), I had to bring it to our authorized repair dealer on
the Texas Tech campus. The techs there pointed out that they hated
working on iMacs because the simplest repair/replacement required them
to completely disassemble the whole chassis.

Six weeks later, they still had not found the source of my sound
problem, and Apple eventually agreed to replace the iMac with a new one
(a faster model, so I couldn't complain about that part).

Needless to say, I was not pleased by Apple's policies in this escapade.
Am I guilty of "playah hating"? ;-)

Now, back to our usual programming, already in progress.

Best wishes,
Clint