What are Source CDs for

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
19 Aug 2004 19:54:40 -0400

Arch...I tracked back to the branches discussing USB2 and Firewire;
which from I can make out of the discussion is really about a particular
card from a particular manufacturer which provides both USB2 AND
Firewire ports on the same card.  I have a similar card sitting in my
PCI slot and I have a Firewire drive connected which I mount and umount.

Perhaps the problem is more a matter of what you are expecting.  Linux
should see firewire, usb and anything else; but it seeing it is very
different from you mounting it onto your desktop so that you see it.

Here is my utilization of pdisk to locate what I've got:

[root@arakus sbin]# ./pdisk -l

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
 #:                type name             length   base    ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                63 @ 1
 2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh            54 @ 64
 3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh            74 @ 118
 4:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition     512 @ 192
 5:           Apple_HFS "Dharma V"      8418102 @ 704     (  4.0G)
 6:          Apple_Free Extra                10 @ 8418806

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=8418815 (4.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  21 @ 64, type=0x1
2:  33 @ 118, type=0xffff

pdisk: can't open file '/dev/hda'  (No medium found)

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hdd'
 #:                type name              length   base     ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                 63 @ 1
 2:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             54 @ 64
 3:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             74 @ 118
 4:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh            512 @ 192
 5:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition      512 @ 704
 6:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled        57321728 @ 1216     ( 27.3G)
 7:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap             1310400 @ 57322944 (639.8M)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=58633344 (28.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  21 @ 64, type=0x701
2:  34 @ 118, type=0xf8ff

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hde'
 #:                type name              length   base     ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                 63 @ 1
 2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh             54 @ 64
 3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh             74 @ 118
 4:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition      512 @ 192
 5:           Apple_HFS "Dharma IV"     40030998 @ 704      ( 19.1G)
 6:          Apple_Free Extra                 10 @ 40031702

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=40031712 (19.1G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  23 @ 64, type=0x1
2:  36 @ 118, type=0xffff

[root@arakus sbin]#

Now I happen to know from experience that my firewire drive lives as
/dev/sda5 but it is currently unmounted and unavailable to the Linux
desktop (and to me) until I mount it.  But there is a subtle issue here;
pdisk is NOT telling that it is a firewire drive by name;  it is telling
me that a device is different from all other devices that Linux has put
it on the sda chain!  It is up to me to know what the name of that drive
is and what it means.  So name your drives in whatever ways jog your
memory.  For me, I use Sanskrit nomenclature!

The other issue is actually mounting the drive so that it becomes
visible on the Gnome or KDE desktop (I prefer Gnome) -- I love
Enlightenment, but I digress -- I have to create a directory before I
mount the drive so the device can copy the files it has into my
directory tree.  I discussed "trees" sometime ago, if you recall.  Well
that directory tree can be named anything I want so why not name it
something meaningful that when I look at that directory I'll remember
that it represents a directory space for files on my "firewire" drive.
So simply I use the following command:
# mkdir /mnt/firewiredrive

or whatever you wish

But the final step in mounting it is:

[root@arakus sbin]# mount -t hfs /dev/sda5 /mnt/firewire
[root@arakus sbin]#

and now its ready for me to use.  TO unmount:

[root@arakus sbin]# umount /mnt/firewire
[root@arakus sbin]#

you do not have to be in sbin to do this one can invoke the mount
command from anywhere within the directory tree. You should have no
trouble using your firewire drive from this vantage point.  Now if this
does not work at all; maybe your kernel is missing a driver for your
USB/Firewire card.  But if  your boot messages show you that the
firewire drive is seen and pdisk sees it somewhere, you just have to
understand what pdisk is actually telling you about where the mount
point actually is.  Note where mine is and that should be clue wnough.

THere is no reason to muck around with any .conf files to get this done.

OK.  That's it....I'm off for more mischief somewhere else on this
list... Hope this was helpful and not another waste of time for you...

One more thing you can tell you've mounted your firewire drive
successfully by going to the /mnt/firewire or what you named it and just
do ls for list.  This will list everything available in that directory.
You should recognize what you have on that drive; if you recognize it as
the stuff you put onto the firewire drive then you are in business.

Best wishes...