What are Source CDs for

Arch and Cath yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:13:14 -0400

on 8/19/04 7:54 PM, Derick Centeno at aguilarojo@verizon.net wrote:

> Arch...I tracked back to the branches discussing USB2 and Firewire;
> which from I can make out of the discussion is really about a particular
> card from a particular manufacturer which provides both USB2 AND
> Firewire ports on the same card.  I have a similar card sitting in my
> PCI slot and I have a Firewire drive connected which I mount and umount.
>
> Perhaps the problem is more a matter of what you are expecting.  Linux
> should see firewire, usb and anything else; but it seeing it is very
> different from you mounting it onto your desktop so that you see it.
>

> Now I happen to know from experience that my firewire drive lives as
> /dev/sda5 but it is currently unmounted and unavailable to the Linux
> desktop (and to me) until I mount it.  But there is a subtle issue here;
> pdisk is NOT telling that it is a firewire drive by name;  it is telling
> me that a device is different from all other devices that Linux has put
> it on the sda chain!  It is up to me to know what the name of that drive
> is and what it means.  So name your drives in whatever ways jog your
> memory.  For me, I use Sanskrit nomenclature!

Therein lies my problem -- I don't know what my firewire drive lives as!  I
have pored over the lastlog file generated during boot to see what pseudo
SCSI drives there are.  I can only find the regulars.   I have built a mount
point directory and even tried guessing drive id's -- sdd would be the next
in line.  If I knew that it was /dev/sdd6, for instance, I would probably be
home free.

Right now, I am going to boot again and once more review the lastlog to see
if I can find the /dev/ to mount.

Arch