What are Source CDs for

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
19 Aug 2004 22:22:23 -0400

Dear Arch:
Did what I send to the list for your examination make sense to you?
It takes a while to read the mount points which pdisk reports.
Again pdisk is invoked from within the sbin directory and it can see all
the drives currently connected and ON.  Of course, if the drive is off,
it can't see it.

./pdisk -l
the option following pdisk is an l (the letter l (el) not number 1.

you'll then get a listing of the drives on your system as I previously
listed on mine and sent to the list.  Referring to what I sent in take a
look and you'll see that the name I gave the firewire drive appears in
quotes "Dharma V"; pdisk is telling us that Partition 5 of this drive is
an Apple_HFS partition and IT IS.  This firewire drive is visible to the
Mac OS.  HOwever pdisk is also saying that the location of this
partition, note where it states horizontally Partition map etc.: on
'/dev/sda, then all one has to do is count to where the name Dharma V
appears and that is the mount point for that portion of the drive.  IN
this example it is /dev/sda5

The rest is exactly as I presented it.

In other words use pdisk as I described and you'll find your firewire
drive if it is on, connected properly and functioning.

Of course, the other thing which will help alot is what I mentioned
earlier; when you created the partitions and named the firewire drive
when you were within the Mac OS , did you give the drive a name you
could easily spot distinguishing it from how the computer addresses or
names anything else.  That is if you name your drive HD4532-RE or
something like your eyes will pass right over it because they just get
tired.  But if its named something unique that you would spot
immediately, "Harriet" or something else anything which makes sense to
you then when you are looking at the listing pdisk gives, you'll see
that unique name no question about it.  The rest is really about row and
column matching.  The name is at a certain row number and pdisk has
listed the devices tree location.

Then to mount it on the desktop it is as I presented earlier.

You guessing what it may be is not a good use of your time.  Why guess??
The method I showed you works...although it took me awhile to understand
why and to read pdisk's messages; there's no short course other than
this -- unfortunately.

Here's hoping that you get it straight eventually...
Best wishes....