Installing apps.. VCD's and getting online!

mascarasnake yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:55:39 -0400

Welcome to the wunnerful world of Linux

Saverio D'Agostino wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm now at the stage where my installation has gone smoothly, and my
> preferences are set up, and now I have two situations:
>
> I have set up Kppp to operate my dial up connection,  but I have also a
> broadband connection which I would like to enable. - how do I do this?
>
> It runs from the dsl router via an ethernet.  Startup process tells me that
> it sees the cable, but more than that, I am clueless!  where do I begin.

You can do this by running:
	redhat-config-network
from a terminal or from the kicker in System Settings >> Network. There
should be an option under the Devices tab to configure your ethernet device.

> Situation 2:
>
> I want to download applications, I have been onto the yum website, and am
> lost at what to download!
>
> Also once I do succeed, how does one install the applications?
>
> I have Blender on a cover CD, and I would really like to install it.

I have the FAQ article I wrote (an intro to yum) posted here:
	<http://home.earthlink.net/~dontdrill/FAQ-yum-plain.txt>
in (like it says) plain text .

> Also, does YDL come with a dvd player, I actually have some VCD's which I'd
> like to play.

I don't play DVDs on my linux box, but xine is supposed to do this
fairly well. This doesn't come stock with YDL, but you can get it at
freshrpms and install it with yum. After you read that little FAQ I gave
you, add this to your yum.conf file (you'll need to be root to do this):

	[updates]
	name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
	baseurl=ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/ydl/yum/3.0/RPMS.updates/

g'luck

--
     It's what you make it man
     Takes time