problems installing and running

Aaron Stroeh yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:35:57 -0500

For starters I have:
Yellow Dog 3.01
Power Mac G4 Dual 867 DDR
1.25 GB ram
60 GB hard drive
logitech wheel mouse
apple keyboard
ATI Radeon 9600 pro which is from a G5 and mod it with tape to work in
my G4
link:
http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?
name=Reviews&file=index&rop=showcontent&id=71
Apple 17" Cinema Display
Apple DVI to ADC converter for the display because didn't want to risk
breaking any thing soldering the graphics card to get the ADC working
in my G4.

The problem is when I install Yellow Dog my Display goes black and the
power button flashes meaning it's not getting the right video format.
But if I type install safe I can get through the install alright. And I
leave all the video and display setting were they are set at when
setting up the x configuration. I did play around with the settings a
couple of times too, but no luck. Then I reboot the computer after the
install and I have the same problem with my monitor. No picture and a
flashing power button again after you see linux load up just with the
text information that is running down the screen, then changes
resolution to this black screen. Also I set login as text and another
time as GUI both times I got a black screen after the initial linux
bootup. I've tried reinstalling over the old install of yellow dog a
couple of times trying different setting with video and resolution in
the x configuration. I've let the computer site there for awhile about
a half an hour at the black screen and tried typing reboot and
xautocongif with no luck. Just not sure what's is showing on the screen
at the time since I have nothing displaying on my monitor. So can you
guys help me? And I've never used linux before in my life really so can
you keep it simple for me.

thanks,
Stroeh