yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #1218 - 5 msgs

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:34:58 -0500

Mr. Bingley:

Mike Bingley wrote:
>>     Then,(as root) type
>>
>> # /sbin/ifup eth0 <enter>
>>
>> (the number sign (#) is the prompt, don't type that).  That should do
>> it.  If it doesn't then you may have another configuration problem.
>
> That gave me the message:
>
> Determining IP information for eth0... failed.

I have come in late on this conversation. However, the last time I
encountered the error message you quoted, the problem was
hardware/configuration rather than software/operating system. Have you
checked all your Ethernet cables? Is eth0 actually the device you think
it is, and not, say, an Airport card? Is the Ethernet cable to your
router connected to a crossover receptacle instead of the regular spot?
Did you use a crossover cable instead of a straight-through cable?

Maybe one of these ideas will point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

Note: the Yellow Dog Newbie mailing list is not currently being archived
(we don't know why). Therefore, for significant questions whose answers
might help other Yellow Dog Linux users, we recommend you sign up for
the Yellow Dog General list: