YDL 4.0 - Super Off Topic

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:14:44 -0700 (PDT)

*sniff* I love this list!  And agree with Derick decaf is a crime.

Derick wrote:
Clint - Decaf is a crime!  I'll continue to take my daily cup of
Expresso followed with a GBlaster chaser, just to clear the ole'
pipes!

Olaf, I think that I have a surprise for you...but I'll start by
expressing a full appreciation of Douglas' outrageous talent.  Now
for
the incidentals:

1. Stavro Mueller is a person, or was a person, who never was a
place.

2. Ursa Minor Alpha and Beta are places although too few know where
they
are and that they in fact do exist.  I could say I was cheating but
Douglas knew his science which is exactly what made him such a
powerful
science fiction writer.  The same way (Isaac) Asimov was a Chemist
and
(Arthur C.) Clarke and Engineer...excuse me, THE ENGINEER who
invented
the TRANSISTOR and was directly involved and responsible for the
first
global telecommunications satellite.

Douglas also was familiar with Advanced Mathematics and its key
suppositions which are used liberally throughout his work, but again
few
are paying close attention.  Again very very few people are going to
"get" what the jokes were which he was "sharing" or "revealing" or
"discussing"...of course there will be always few who will have a
"religious" epiphany and start a new religion based on this and other
works discussing simultaneous dimensional multiplicity dynamics and
how
it applies to their lives.  Some would say, this has already
happened,
and they passed on together along with Halley's Comet!  But that
ignores
their variants...but few along our particular continuum axis would
recognize that occurrence unless one remembered a particularly funny
little function which crops up nearly everywhere nearly all the time.

I speak of that function which appears to be ubiquitous in the
structure
of all living structures and DOWNRIGHT essential for the very
existence
of all things human.  Douglas must have known it; others know it as
the
function phi.  What is phi?  One form of it is the graph of f(x)= 1/x

It just so happens that this function DETERMINES the shape of what
Nature uses to grow not only Nautilus shells, but the ventricles of
the
heart AND brain; as well as the curves of the spine as well as which
structures in a fetus grow first and how they become innervated.  It
ALSO has been observed to be essential to how curves of force develop
which has been called hurricanes and/or tornadoes.  As well as
whirlpools, spiral behavior of curling, and unfolding; it goes on...

I've given enough hints here for you to intuit for yourself.
However,
as I've come this far I might as well drop some more hints which
Douglas
himself used.  But before I do that understanding how and what phi is
doing has a lot to do with this view of Douglas' work.  Remember that
phi exists in Quadrant I and III!  It also approaches the axes
(plural)
in ALL QUADRANTS IN ALL DIMENSIONAL GENERATIONS -- INFINITELY.
Remember
that little sub-seminar on Limits in Calculus class?  Something
approaching infinitely somewhere without ever getting there... sounds
fantastic, but it is true AND demonstrable in precisely phi!

In other words, the Vogon, even at the cost of becoming the only
Vogon
in existence cannot EVER complete his/its task.  It can merely
APPROACH
A MEASURE OR FINITE LEVEL PASSING FOR THE APPEARANCE OF
ACCOMPLISHMENT.
Douglas' Hint, is quite clear.  It ends with the last few words of
the
Vogon listening to Music. Music is a completely human activity even
older than humanity's activity with Science.

The STORY is NOT OVER, just Douglas' description of it in the current
continuum!  The trick of course is to SEE it from the OTHER AXIS. All
views are NOT equivalent; this is the Vogon limitation.  Very similar
the Vulcan's slavish adoption of Logic! As you are still perfecting
the
Art of Flying it is easily forgiven that one misses the clearly
obvious
fact that Marvin is about to BE!

Just Keep Practicing and one day you'll see the point AND miss the
ground entirely -- which is a much preferable way to live and come
out
of many intractable predicaments.  Of course, moving along the
various
axes successfully means paying attention to what phi is doing within
certain rate of time so that one transverses along the timeline as
opposed to becoming discreet upon it!

Best wishes and by all means KEEP MISSING IT...the ground...that is.
:)

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 19:48, OlafOccurrence Olson wrote:
> I will admit that I too learned a great deal from Douglas Adams,
chief
> among the things I learned is that the secret to flying is to throw

> yourself at the ground and miss. I haven't perfected it yet and
I've
> decided not to try from any higher starting points than I have so
far
> attempted.
>
> Nevertheless, I wish he had stopped before the final book in the
series,
> in which the simultaneous guide managed to finish the story
permanently,
> in Stavromula Beta. Still... those fjords are quite nice.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience...
>
> Olaf
>
> Clinton MacDonald wrote:
>
> > Douglas -- uh, I mean, Derick:
> >
> > Derick Centeno wrote:
> >
> >> Now THAT fellow not only lives forever, BUT FOREVER IN
> >> EVERY POSSIBLE UNIVERSE SIMULTANEOUSLY!! C'MON WITH THAT
> >> MANY PROFOUNDO...WHAT WAS THAT DRINK>>>??? Ah YES...THE
> >> PAN GALACTIC GARGLE BLASTER... WELL...ANYONE CAN NOT
> >> ONLY LOOK COOL THEY CAN BE COOL TOO!
> >

> > Don't take this the wrong way, and I say this only as a friend:
Switch