XMMS freezes, what gives?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:37:40 -0500

Mr. Scow:

Roger Scow wrote:
> I have managed to properly configure XMMS so that I can
> play a cd and have music come out of my machine. This is
> good.

(And not a trivial task!)

> BUT, if I start XMMS from the YDL menu, it sees the CD,
> and when I click PLAY, it freezes. I end up having to
> kill <pid> the app.
>
> Now, when I start XMMS from the terminal, and run it in
> the background, it works fine.

Check out what command is issued when you choose xmms (or "Audio
Player," as is not so helpfully mentioned in the menu). I *think* (I
don't have a YDL machine at present to check) that you can do this by
right-clicking on the command in the menu or by using kmenuedit. Change
the command to whatever works for you from the command line and see if
that helps.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

Note: the Yellow Dog Newbie mailing list is not currently being archived
(we don't know why). Therefore, for significant questions whose answers
might help other Yellow Dog Linux users, we recommend you sign up for
the Yellow Dog General list: