make error

Steven Didier yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:25:46 -0700

--------------010200020704030908030701

Derick Centeno wrote:

>My reading of what you posted is that the update process "broke" because
>the rules needed to build the target driver, that is -- the instructions
>telling make how to proceed and put different things together -- were
>"not found" and that is why make stopped itself.  That much is
>explicit.  The reason this sequence repeats no matter "how often you
>recompile" is that the instructions are just not there!
>
>The solution however is more complex, you will have to find a complete
>source of the kernel; not a patch or merely components of kernel source
>which yum sometimes installs.  This is not so easy.
>
>I recommend reading this bit of information which is posted by TSS:
>
>http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/kernels.shtml
>
>Note the websites mentioned and look for complete kernels.  Make sure
>you have the space to store it and the bandwidth to not spend the rest
>of your life waiting for it.  Then you should not be missing anything,
>but you may have to spend time excluding stuff you don't use.
>
>My own philosophy is similar to shopping; choose a big store and take
>the time to look about and make your selections carefully.  Best
>wishes...
>
>On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 19:29, Steven Didier wrote:
>

>>I have been trying to update my kernel and I can't seem to get past this
>>point:
>>CC      fs/hfsplus/part_tbl.o
>>  LD      fs/hfsplus/hfsplus.o
>>  LD      fs/hfsplus/built-in.o
>>  CC      fs/proc/root.o
>>  LD      fs/proc/proc.o
>>  LD      fs/proc/built-in.o
>>  LD      fs/built-in.o
>>  LD      drivers/bluetooth/built-in.o
>>  CC      drivers/char/tty_io.o
>>  CC      drivers/char/vt_ioctl.o
>>  CC      drivers/char/vc_screen.o
>>  CC      drivers/char/consolemap.o
>>  CC      drivers/char/selection.o
>>  CC      drivers/char/keyboard.o
>>  CC      drivers/char/vt.o
>>  CC      drivers/char/agp/backend.o
>>  CC      drivers/char/agp/frontend.o
>>  CC      drivers/char/agp/generic.o
>>make[3]: *** No rule to make target `drivers/char/agp/isoch.s', needed
>>by `drivers/char/agp/isoch.o'.  Stop.
>>make[2]: *** [drivers/char/agp] Error 2
>>make[1]: *** [drivers/char] Error 2
>>make: *** [drivers] Error 2
>>
>>I have checked, changed settings recompiled till I'm blue in the face.
>>Can anyone tell me what it is I need to uncheck or enable to get past
>>this point!
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Steve

Thanks Derrick, actually I 've read that article several times over but
this is the first time someone has taken the time to explain why this is
happening!! That was a 32.6MB source download but it certainly is
possible that I didn't get it all!

Thank you for the help!
Steve

--------------010200020704030908030701

begin:vcard
fn:Steven Didier
n:Didier;Steven
org:Back Country Horsemen of America;National Board
adr;dom:;;HC66 Box 248;Kooskia;Idaho;83539
email;internet:sdidier@camasnet.com
title:Chairman
tel;home:208-926-4910
x-mozilla-html:FALSE