Lombard and booting from external SCSI

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
18 Sep 2004 11:36:06 -0400

Fully supported means that once the drive is formatted properly and
working YDL will have no trouble seeing it.

Booting YDL from an external drive is a procedure discussed at the YDL
FAQ page.  The link to get there is provided here:

http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start

There is NO problem with YDL recognizing firewire/USB or other drives if
they are properly formatted and configured.  YDL 3.0 has NO trouble
seeing my firewire, Mac and Linux drives all at once.  I happen to keep
the Mac and Linux on their own drives.  Not only can each drive be seen,
each drive can be accessed and I can copy, transfer and erase files and
reformat drives should I choose all within YDL.  And that is without
using Mac-On-Linux.

Booting from any external drive IS a problem that requires following the
information posted on the YDL FAQ page; once those instructions are
followed there is NO problem.

Suggestion:
1.  Consider looking at Other World Computing (www.macsales.com) or my
other favorite Compuvest (www.compuvest.com).  You'll be shocked at what
prices you can find...if you know how to read hardware specs...
OWC is far more friendly...the other place is a pc shop all the way, but
man does Compuvest have outrageous prices on hardware especially
harddrives.

2.  Why limit yourself to an expensive scsi drive?  Why bother with scsi
at all?  According to published specs regarding the Lombard you should
have available 2 USB ports!  Consider getting a USB drive.  Again Other
World Computing would be more helpful regarding specific
recommendations.

As long as the drive is on and connected when Linux boots up...there
should be no difficulty.  Kudzu will tell you it notices a new device
and whether you will allow it to add drivers to control it...say yes and
you're on your way.