What's the reason for Yellow Dog?

ivan low yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:55:53 +0800

Hi, I'm user of OS 9 for years and now since everything going for OS
X, then my iMac slot loading  500 G3 will not have enough power to
run OS X at the speed of OS 9. So I heard of the Yellow Dog and
thought it's my answer to my problem. The fact is that I had always
wanted a upgrade version of everything, like browser, word processor,
programming tool. All of this have stop developing new version for OS
9.
When I got the first time boot up I was very happy and everything
seem to be working right.
So I was thinking that now finally I'm fully compatible with the rest
of the open source community but later on, the first thing I do was
to download some software from the net and realize that PPC package
were very limited. Some of those cool software for Linux does not
work on my platform. As soon as I know that, I had gone back to my OS
9.
So one thing I'm very curious about, since PPC package is not widely
available then what is your reason to get the Yellow Dog?

Ivan