What's the reason for Yellow Dog?

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
19 Sep 2004 08:30:53 -0400

Hi Ivan:
OS 9 doesn't and can never do MANY things which can be done with Yellow
Dog Linux...the issue is not the Linux software which turns any Mac into
a Server.  The issue is what imagination you have to do something
creative and how willing you are to study and master new technical
material. If you're a programmer there are options for using at least 6
or 7 languages just within the installed packages alone!  If you are a
database analyst there are MANY databases to work with and build your
own applications upon.  If you are even an artist there are fascinating
and truly flexible art packages which compete well with Illustrator and
Photoshop!

And as you have noted all these Linux apps are free and continuously
developed but there is NO development for OS 9 anymore.

It is true that learning the Linux environment can be challenging and I
don't pretend that Linux applications have great user interfaces which
are easy to use.  Many interfaces were designed for the PC/Intel/Unix
environments first; however with very few exceptions as long as the
software you downloaded are truly following the open source philosophy
and concept they will and do provide the "source" so that if they do not
have a PowerPC or YDL version of the software you may be interested in
using -- you can download that source and recompile it on your Yellow
Dog Linux box!  When the compile and other procedures are over, you have
a working version of that software!  And instructions to do this are
often provided by the authors of that software!

Also software written within YDL will and can run within OS X with
modifications!  And software written in OS X with some modifications can
run within YDL!  As you can understand...there are LOTS of reasons why
developed for Classic OS based machines have been abandoned like a cold
cave.

There is nothing like this flexibility equivalent in ANY incarnation of
the Mac except for OS X and beyond!

Now if you still want to hold on to the sinking island of OS 9, no one
will argue with you or try to stop you.  After all one is free to be
however one wishes -- you are free to act against even yourself -- at
least in the US.  Like the Vikings and even the native American Indians
(who lived throughout the Eastern and Western coasts as well as the
plains) of old (and still exist by the way) -- the rest of us respect
your right to put yourself out to sea in a sinking boat and we will
respectfully salute and wish you well.