What's the reason for Yellow Dog?

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
19 Sep 2004 16:00:05 -0400

Hi Ed:
If you got yum upgraded and yum.conf properly configured then yum is
definitely your pal.  See the YDL FAQ page for the details on getting
that done; however after yum is ready and humming just do:

[root@arakus aguilarojo]# yum search thunderbird*
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 - ppc - freshrpms
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 - ppc - os
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 - ppc - updates
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Looking in available packages for a providing package
Available package: thunderbird.ppc 0:0.6-1.0.yd3.fr from freshrpms
matches with
 Mozilla Thunderbird is a redesign of the Mozilla mail component.
Available package: thunderbird.ppc 0:0.6-1.0.yd3.fr from freshrpms
matches with
 Mozilla Thunderbird mail/news client
Available package: thunderbird.ppc 0:0.6-1.0.yd3.fr from freshrpms
matches with
 thunderbird
3 results returned
Looking in installed packages for a providing package
No packages found
[root@arakus aguilarojo]#

Regarding Gnome use the same procedure:

[root@arakus aguilarojo]# yum search gnome*
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 - ppc - freshrpms
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 - ppc - os
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 - ppc - updates
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Looking in available packages for a providing package
Available package: gtktalog.ppc 0:1.0.4-1.fr from freshrpms matches with
 The GNOME disk catalog.
Available package: multi-gnome-terminal.ppc 0:1.6.1-fr3 from freshrpms
matches with
 Extended version of the GNOME terminal.
Available package: multi-gnome-terminal.ppc 0:1.6.1-fr3 from freshrpms
matches with
 multi-gnome-terminal
Available package: gtk-doc.noarch 0:1.1-3.1.1 from freshrpms matches
with
 API documentation generation tool for GTK+ and GNOME
Available package: libcapplet0-devel.ppc 1:1.4.0.1-9a from base matches
with
 Header files for GNOME 1 control center library compatibility package
.
.
.
44 results returned
Looking in installed packages for a providing package
Installed package: gnome-print.ppc 1:0.37-4 matches with
 gnome-print
Installed package: gnome-python2-gtkhtml2.ppc 0:1.99.14-5b matches with
 gnome-python2-gtkhtml2
.
.
.
Installed package: gdk-pixbuf-gnome.ppc 1:0.22.0-6.1.0 matches with
 gdk-pixbuf-gnome
58 results returned
[root@arakus aguilarojo]#

Then check out what yum is telling you about each package and then
decide what you wish to install.  If say I wanted to install the gdk
package but didn't want to type all that I could do:

yum install gdk*

and yum will handle the rest....