Real simple: how do I see my cd drive?

mascarasnake dontdrill at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 23 14:20:10 MDT 2004

Hey Bjørn - welcome to The Pale Pup's Universe

Studio Smalbro wrote:
> I have just installed yellow dog with the Gnome interface on my old Imac. I
> am a real newbie - How do I see whats on a cd? I miss a Finder/Explorer
> program...
> Kind regards
> Bjørn

On a Linux system, you have to mount and unmount disks (CDs, Hard
Drives, Network Disks etc.). There are several different ways that you
can do this. GNOME has a couple different GUI methods.

1) From the Kicker, go to 'System Tools --> Disk Management' from the
dialog box that comes up there should be a line:
	'/dev/cdrom	/mnt/cdrom	udf,iso9660'
select this line and then click the mount button. This will mount the
CD, place an icon on the Desktop and open up a window displaying the
contents of the CD.

2) Right click on the Desktop (F11 if you are using mouse button
emulation) drag down the CM to 'Disks' and select 'CD-ROM'. This will do
the same as 1) above

3) From the Command Line (terminal), you can mount the CD with the command:
	mount /mnt/cdrom
This will also give you the results above.

Before you eject the CD, you will need to unmount it. You can do this
with 1) above and just choose the cdrom and click the unmount button.

You can also right click (F11) on the Desktop icon and drag down to
'Eject'(this will unmount the CD *and* eject it).

You can also use the Command Line by running the command:
	umount /mnt/cdrom
That's not a typo the command is 'umount'

in GNOME, you can also add a 'Disk Mounter' utility to your panel and
configure it to mount different disks.

g'luck

--
     It's what you make it man