Getting an Apache (httpd) server up and running (YDL 3.0.1)

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 13:56:07 MDT 2004

Thanks for the suggestion Bill. I'll try that when I get home (I'm sure I've
got lots of other questions... there's still that pesky (17) error but I'll
work on permissions first... I'm kind of enjoying playing around with
Linux).

Can anyone tell me what the permissions are for their /var/www/html
directory? And for files contained therein if you're running httpd?

Thanks, Eric.

>From: "Longman, Bill" <longman at sharplabs.com>
>To: "'Yellow Dog Linux Newbie List'"
><yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>Subject: RE: Getting an Apache (httpd) server up and running (YDL 3.0.1)
>Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:12:42 -0700
>
> > I've also put files in the /var/www/html directory that I
> > ftped from my OS X
> > server and they don't work (see below for changed permissions).
> >
> > /etc/httpd/logs/error_log says error (13) file permissions
> > don't allow file
> > to be served (I'm paraphrasing from memory here). This is
> > AFTER I have run
> > "chown -R root:root /var/www/html" (since the one file that works is
> > root:root) and "chmod --reference=o.html other.html" on a few
> > of them (I
> > used --reference since o.html was working and I figured I
> > could "borrow" the
> > permissions from the one file of mine that worked).
> >
> > Come to think of it, is it possible that my "chown -R
> > root:root /html" is
> > what prevents the files from being served? Should the owner
> > of var/www/html
> > be something else (did that chown change the html directory?)?
>
>Bingo! Error 13 is *the* indicator that your permissions are wrong. You are
>assuming that the process that needs to read the HTML files is a root
>process. You can't assume that. Just run ps and see who owns the httpd pid.
>That's the ID you need to change the HTML files to. It's probably either
>apache or nobody. You can also find this information in the
>/etc/apache/conf/httpd.conf file. There are lines for user and group of the
>httpd process. That file is your friend.

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology.
first two months FREE*.