Getting an Apache (httpd) server up and running (YDL 3.0.1)

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Mon Sep 27 15:00:49 MDT 2004

> Thanks for the suggestion Bill. I'll try that when I get home
> (I'm sure I've
> got lots of other questions... there's still that pesky (17)
> error but I'll
> work on permissions first... I'm kind of enjoying playing around with
> Linux).

There's plenty of answers to go around. Back in 1994-5, I could never figure
out why the heck any of the Unix vendors wouldn't drop the price on their
i386 products. I knew if I could spend less than a hundred bucks on their
OS, then I'd actually buy it and use it. And write code for it. Now I can
get Linux for free and all I ever write are my own database apps.

> Can anyone tell me what the permissions are for their /var/www/html
> directory? And for files contained therein if you're running httpd?

Mine are all over the place, but they all are group apache with at least
read permission. Most are owned by apache, too, but for directories that I
update a lot, I own the directory and files.