Problems with "startx"

Dakidd dakidd at sonic.net
Mon Sep 27 18:02:16 MDT 2004

>And you can always look in the XF86 log file in ye olde /var/log directory.

Quite the "obvious" place for a newbie to look... NOT!

>And you can always switch screens (assuming you're using vt1) with
>Cmd-Opt-F1 to see the mumbo-jumbo as it gets displayed. Pop back to X with
>Cmd-Opt-F7 (usually).

AHA!!!! Now *THIS* tidbit is absolutely pure gold! No, on second thought,
make that platinum. EXACTLY the type of advice I was hoping to see. (My
main "thing" against GUIs is that they so often assume the user is too
stupid to understand a text-based error message, so they either "dumb 'em
down" to the point of being useless, or don't display 'em at all)

Don Bruder -  dakidd at sonic.net      <--- Preferred Email - unmunged
I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart