Getting an Apache (httpd) server up and running (YDL 3.0.1)

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 19:21:38 MDT 2004

Well, I guess hotmail is being flakey I saw Bill's 2nd message to me in the
archives at 16:30 and it hasn't shown up in my mailbox by 21:00.

I changed the ownership to apache:apache and it got rid of the one error
(13). Files can now be served.

Now I'm still left with another. This error occurs after I "stop" or
"restart" httpd using the "redhat-config-services" application (aka Service
Configuration in GNOME) and prevents httpd from running until I restart the
comptuer.

PS is this (Service Configuration) how you're supposed to start and stop
httpd in YDL?).

[Mon Sep 27 21:06:52 2004] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest
authentication ...
[Mon Sep 27 21:06:52 2004] [notice] Digest: done
[Mon Sep 27 21:06:53 2004] [crit] (17)File exists: unable to create
scoreboard (name-based shared memory failure)

I don't expect that it's the httpd.conf file since the server comes up quite
nicely first time around. I try running the apachectl "script" (or whatever
it is) from the terminal and it doesn't run. As far as I can tell it has all
the right permissions to be an executable (when compared to other scripts
that will run)?

Is apachectl causing the problems? Maybe not since httpd actually does
execute and writes an error in the error_log file?

I have 128 MB of real RAM and a 384 MB swap disk and it's a bog-standard
install of YDL on a Beige G3 Rev B, 32x CD-ROM (pull from a B&W) and 80 GB
Western Digital IDE drive (8 MB cache) [brand spanking new].

Any ideas?

Sincerely, Eric.