Getting an Apache (httpd) server up and running (YDL 3.0.1)

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Mon Sep 27 20:30:03 MDT 2004

> Now I'm still left with another. This error occurs after I "stop" or
> "restart" httpd using the "redhat-config-services"
> application (aka Service
> Configuration in GNOME) and prevents httpd from running until
> I restart the
> comptuer.
>
> PS is this (Service Configuration) how you're supposed to
> start and stop
> httpd in YDL?).

You can also use "service" from the command line:

 service httpd start

or

 service httpd stop

> [Mon Sep 27 21:06:52 2004] [notice] Digest: generating secret
> for digest
> authentication ...
> [Mon Sep 27 21:06:52 2004] [notice] Digest: done
> [Mon Sep 27 21:06:53 2004] [crit] (17)File exists: unable to create
> scoreboard (name-based shared memory failure)

You should google for this message. I'm not familiar with the scoreboard.
But it sounds to me like apache has already allocated shared memory segments
for the scoreboard and it's trying to remake the scoreboard on a second
time.

> I don't expect that it's the httpd.conf file since the server
> comes up quite
> nicely first time around. I try running the apachectl
> "script" (or whatever
> it is) from the terminal and it doesn't run. As far as I can
> tell it has all
> the right permissions to be an executable (when compared to
> other scripts
> that will run)?

Are you running this as root? You'll need to in order to start or stop
apache.

HTH,

Bill