Getting an Apache (httpd) server up and running (YDL 3.0.1)

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 05:44:28 MDT 2004

>From: "Longman, Bill" <longman at sharplabs.com>
>To: Yellow Dog Linux Newbie List
><yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>Subject: RE: Getting an Apache (httpd) server up and running (YDL 3.0.1)
>Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:30:03 -0700
>
> > Now I'm still left with another. This error occurs after I "stop" or
> > "restart" httpd using the "redhat-config-services"
> > application (aka Service Configuration in GNOME) and prevents httpd from
>running until
> > I restart the comptuer.

Well, I turned off "nfs" in the Service Configuration app and httpd has
stopped acting up.

I broke the cardinal rule of troubleshooting - do only one thing at a time
and test its effects. I turned on 'nfs' when I first set up the computer
hoping to get NFS access that I could use to log-in to the YDL box (no such
luck). I noticed that 'nfs' was giving an error in the list of services when
doing a restart and remembered that it was the only thing not "out of the
box".

> > I don't expect that it's the httpd.conf file since the server
> > comes up quite
> > nicely first time around. I try running the apachectl
> > "script" (or whatever
> > it is) from the terminal and it doesn't run. As far as I can
> > tell it has all
> > the right permissions to be an executable (when compared to
> > other scripts
> > that will run)?
>
>Are you running this as root? You'll need to in order to start or stop
>apache.

I think so (su). Otherwise it wouldn't work.

Now for more advanced projects...

1. get a file sharing system running that OS X Finder can access (whether it
be Samba, NFS or afs over IP);
2. get an ftp server up and running;
3. get WebDAV up and running in Apache;
4. get a print server up and running (Canon i550 on a USB card) that can be
accessed by OS X [preferably] without requiring special drivers (am not
holding my breath on that one... I may have to resort to OS X 10.2.8 as my
server OS?). I guess I could accept other drivers but they have to be able
to do "double-sided" print jobs.

eric.

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
first two months FREE*.