Installing YDL 3.0 on PowerMac 8500 - partitioning problem

Marek Włodarz marekw at venus.ci.uw.edu.pl
Sun Oct 10 15:24:25 MDT 2004

Hi,

First, I must say that I am newbie not only to Yellow Dog Linux, but also
new to Macintosh...

I am trying to install YDL 3.0 on PowerMac 8500, which has been "retired"
from company I cooperate... It has 240 MB of RAM, but only 1 GB hard disk
with Mac OS 8.6 installed. So I decided to use also "retired" but stiil
working disk from my old Windows workstation - SCSI Samsung 4 GB - and
use it exclusively for Linux.

But when I tried to install YLD, I got an error in partitioning phase:

"Error: msdos disk labels do not support partition names".

It's rather strange to me, 'cause I have removed all logical disks and
partitions from this drive - and it's actual state reads as "free space".

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Python, so debugging mode is not
a solution...

Is there any override for that situation?

Regards,
Marek W.
--
http://venus.ci.uw.edu.pl/~marekw/