Yum update rest by peer?

Dakidd dakidd at sonic.net
Sun Oct 10 15:38:18 MDT 2004

>Hi, I don't know if I would to update my package using yum but through
>the process, my connection was close and I receive this message:
>
>[Errno 104] Connection reset by peer
>
>Does this mean that I need to pay for a copy of yellowdog before I can
>use the yum update software?

Possible, if the Yellowdog folks have configured yum to refuse to work
unless it's bought, but I'd say that's pretty unlikely.

"Connection reset by peer" is a standard internet message that's telling
you the other end shut down the connection for some reason. It's basically
the same as a ring-no-answer on the regular telephone - The exact reason is
undefined, and could be anything from the person (server) on the other end
going "CallerID says it's a phone salesman/bill collector/your
mother-in-law/your obnoxious brother Bill - I ain't answering it!" to the
"All circuits are busy now. Please try your call again later." recording
you might be familiar with from trying to call a radio station when they've
got one of those "Be the 437th caller on the studio line and win tickets to
next week's Joe Schmoe and the Noisemakers concert!" thing going on.

I've never heard an official "this condition will cause it every time"
style explanation, but it seems to happen most often with really busy
servers. Usually a retry (perhaps with a bit of waiting for traffic to
clear) will work just fine, although if you're trying to get to a server
that's super popular for some reason (Yellowdog primary download location,
for instance), or perhaps under a DoS attack, the situation may persist for
hours, or even days, at a time.

Don Bruder -  dakidd at sonic.net      <--- Preferred Email - unmunged
I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart