Yum update rest by peer?

Olaf Olson oolson at hadleyconnection.com
Sun Oct 10 16:31:31 MDT 2004

Don

This is a simple one. Too many people are using the default and the pipe
from the default yellowdog site is unable to give you all you are asking
for, in a timely manner. Your computer grows tired of waiting and hangs
up. If you browse to the YDL FAQ site:

http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Updating+YDL/yum

Of course, this just tells you that you need to list some other
repositories, besides the default (a repository is a place where
application and utility packages reside and yum can grab the stuff it
needs to get them installed and/or updated onto your machine.

If you're in the US, on the west coast, these are some good
possibilities for repositories. Simply edit your /etc/yum.conf file and
add these lines:

[update2]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
baseurl=http://ydl.osuosl.org/yum/3.0.1/update/

[update3]
name=FreshRPMS
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms/

These will add repositories from Oregon State and the ever popular
FreshRPMs site, which has lots of stuff that is newer than that provided
by the YellowDog folks.

Free is still free, but it also means that you may not have the absolute
latest and greatest stuff. You'll want to learn to compile, use source
rpms, and all kinds of other things. Meanwhile, this will get you much
further along the way.

Holler if you need help running a text editor!

Olaf