[OT] - Downloadable Mac OS

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 14:28:56 MDT 2004

You MUST have Mac OS installed on a Beige G3 to run YDL on a Beige G3!
This also means you need a Mac OS licence for each Beige G3 on which
you plan to run YDL (plus, if you have Mac OS installed, you'll be
able to run MOL under Linux for your Mac users).

Conceivably you could create a startup CD (or foppy if you put the
kernel on a partition) which has the requisite System Folder, [kernel
image(s)] and BootX but that's a lot of effort spent learning how to
make an obsolete Operating System (Mac OS 8) work on a CD-ROM.

Of course... you still need a licence for each computer that is booted
(concurrently) by that boot floppy/CD.

The reason for this is that you must boot OS 8 or 9 before you boot
Linux. XBoot does the hard part of loading the Linux kernel but it
requires Mac OS to do its dirty work.

FYI The Blue & White G3 (New World machines) is the first tower Mac
capable of booting Linux without requiring a Mac OS jump-start! (you
use ybin for NewWorld
Macs, and xboot for OldWorld ones).

Sounds like you have enough OS 8 licences for three Beige G3s to run
YDL (kind of ironic that you _need_ licences to be able to run the
'free' (it does have a licence but it's very permissive) OS YDL)!

Eric.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:40:35 -0700 (PDT),
yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com