B&W G3. No boot from old OS disk or YDL on hard drive, boots from YDL CD

matthew dechant mdechant at insightpd.com
Wed Oct 13 13:20:27 MDT 2004

I have a related question. I asked this a while ago, and now I have more
info to add.

Blue and White G3.
Boots off the YDL disks I made, find the hard drive, and appears to install
YDL, no problem.
Won't boot to YDL upon restart. Only boots to open firmware prompt or
question mark if left alone.
Tried an ATA IDE, SCSI, and regular IDE drive, no go.

More puzzling, and in reference to this thread, it also won't boot off a
purchased OS 9 CD, nor will it boot off a beige G3 install disk. Also tried
a hard drive with operational OS 8.something I pulled from a beige G3. All I
get is the question mark.

Reset Pram more times than I want to count and pulled the battery overnight.
I also put new Ram in it.

I thought maybe (after some reading) that I needed to upgrade to firmware on
the machine, so that's when I tried to install a version of OS, because it
appears that you can't do it from a CD?? Is this most likely the problem,
firmware?

Is there something wrong with the machine maybe?

-matt