[OT] - Downloadable Mac OS

Norberto Quintanar nquintanar at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 04:19:13 MDT 2004

Now we're talking!  Thanks for the link!

<http://www.tanneryd.com/twiki/bin/view/Techstuff/YDLOnPowerCurveInstall>

> > This also means you need a Mac OS licence for each Beige G3 on
> which
> > you plan to run YDL (plus, if you have Mac OS installed, you'll
> be
> > able to run MOL under Linux for your Mac users).
>
> I don't want to run Mac OS any flavor
>
> > Conceivably you could create a startup CD (or foppy if you put
> the
> > kernel on a partition) which has the requisite System Folder,
> [kernel
> > image(s)] and BootX but that's a lot of effort spent learning how
> > make an obsolete Operating System (Mac OS 8) work on a CD-ROM.
>
> Not if the eventual outcome is no Mac OS
>
> > Of course... you still need a licence for each computer that is
> booted
> > (concurrently) by that boot floppy/CD.
>
> That's why I wanted Mac OS 7.5.X, it's free therefore no license
> needed.
> But that won't work on my Beige G3/266 rev1 machine.
>
> > The reason for this is that you must boot OS 8 or 9 before you
> boot
> > Linux. XBoot does the hard part of loading the Linux kernel but
> it
> > requires Mac OS to do its dirty work.
>

> > FYI The Blue & White G3 (New World machines) is the first tower
> Mac
> > capable of booting Linux without requiring a Mac OS jump-start!
> > (you
> > use ybin for NewWorld
> > Macs, and xboot for OldWorld ones).
>
> I know that.
> <http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/norberto>
>
> > Sounds like you have enough OS 8 licences for three Beige G3s to
> run
> > YDL (kind of ironic that you _need_ licences to be able to run
> the
> > 'free' (it does have a licence but it's very permissive) OS YDL)!
> >
> > Eric.
>
> Thanks for your post Eric, but my goals are two.  1) To install YDL
> 4 on an
> old world mac and post the faq once I do it. 2) To install YDL
> 3.0.X on an
> old world mac WITHOUT a parallel install of Mac OS and post the faq
> once
> accomplished.
>
> Norberto

=====
--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar