Determined, newbie Old Codger fails 3x to install YDL

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Wed Nov 3 14:05:29 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 14:41, Eric Dunbar wrote:

<snip>
> 4. I've discovered that you have to actually login as "root" (in one
> of the F1-F6 sessions, or as root from the GUI login) to do things (&
> "sudo" doesn't work out of the box like in OS X). su (substitute
> user?) isn't enough sometimes.
 <...>
> 6. To run an application as "root" in your own GUI login (GNOME or
> KDE... whatever is your poison), open up a terminal (don't switch to
> another ctrl-opt-F1-6) in the GUI, su (default is to substitute in
> root), type your password and then run whatever app you want to run as
> root, e.g. "gedit" as a _nice_ GUI text editor for editing
> configuration files.

Some details:
	'su' will provide the user (you) with super-user (so called 'root')
privileges, allowing you to perform some operations a normal user
wouldn't be allowed. To become the *real* root, type 'su -'.

There it is: <http://www.sharplabs.com:8668>

> 8. YDL doesn't tell you if you run out disk space. Depending on your
> drive set-up some parts (especially the GUI) will simply stop working.
> There's a command called "du" that you can run from the command line
> (also works in OS X) and there's also KDiskFree in the GUI.

KDiskFree can also be accessed with 'kdf' in a terminal.

<snip>

> 10. Don't despair. Help is out there (& chances are someone's
> experienced it before & fixed it & left instructions on how to fix
> it).

When you'll need help, by all means: have no fear and come to us. Google
is also VERY useful because most issues have already been covered and/or
fixed. If you happen to hit something nobody else ever hit, you will
surely find a horde of geek willing to get you going, either from here,
the mailing list(s) or some IRC channels and google and so on.

***

> Each time installation pauses with the information "You haven't determined
> your Mount Points" (or similar) before partitioning which leaves me
> perplexed.

Do you recall a screen like this one: <http://www.bytebot.net/fedora/anaconda-screenshots/screenshot-0006.png>
If you go with 'Manual' you will get a screen like this: <http://www.bytebot.net/fedora/anaconda-screenshots/screenshot-0008.png>
You have to edit the partition(s) and define mount point
(/, usr/, /home are some possible mount points..)
http://www.bytebot.net/fedora/anaconda-screenshots/screenshot-0009.png

... but automatic partitioning should set you go with ease :-)