Determined, newbie Old Codger fails 3x to install YDL

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:29:56 MST 2004

> > 8. YDL doesn't tell you if you run out disk space. Depending on your
> > drive set-up some parts (especially the GUI) will simply stop working.
> > There's a command called "du" that you can run from the command line
> > (also works in OS X) and there's also KDiskFree in the GUI.
>
> KDiskFree can also be accessed with 'kdf' in a terminal.

This reminds me of something I was wondering about:

Question #1 (I don't know the answer to this):

How can I open an application in a X server from a terminal not
associated with that session (I don't know the terminology) that's got
the privilidges of another user. e.g. I want to open gedit as root in
a X server session running user name "michael""

If I login to another session as "michael" I can do what I asked in question #3.

Question #2:

Is it possible to run another X windows session on another F-key (I'm
not sure what to call ctrl-option-F1 through F8). I'm guessing F8? How
does one do this? (for some reason I'm getting deja-vu)

Question #3 (& I answered this question after realising that I wasn't
logged in as the same user... just need clarification on a point in
Q#1):

If I try to run an app that requires an X server from a terminal not
hosted in the X windows session I get:
"cannot connect to X server"

Is it possible to start an app to run in a particular X server?

e.g. kdf --display :0

(I'm not sure what parameter to pass b/c :0 errors out with Xlib
connection refused by host 0:0)

Answer (figured it out between the time I sent this e-mail to someone
else by accident and I reposted):

You have to be logged in as the account that's currently open in the X server.

So if 'michael' is logged into x server (KDE/GNOME) you also have to
log in to 'michael' on the command line to launch an app in the x
server session. However, it seems that there's an exception if you're
using a terminal that's open in the KDE/GNOME and do a su (substitute
user (default root)... I imagine sudo would have the same effect).

Eric.