Newbie Question(s)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 20:11:54 MST 2004

> I've recently installed YDL 3.0 on a G4 at work -- with the purpose of setting
> this machine up as a fileserver to four other Macs.
>
> In a nutshell -- how do I do this?
>
> I've heard that it's rather straightforward, however, whenever I start up NFS
> Server. Add a shared point, I cannot see it from any of the Macs.
>
> Is there some documentation available re: setting up filesharing?

Try <http://www.webmin.com> and use that interface to control your
file sharing needs (and a whole lot of other stuff). I find it quite
surprising that YDL (and/or Red Hat) don't have it installed and
activated right out of the box.

WebMin is a pretty nice solution and allowed me to set my computer up
as a file server with a minimum of effort.

Once you've installed webmin, it's accessible at
http://localhost:10000 from any web browser on your own computer, or
from anywhere in the world if you enter your server's IP address (or
domain name) before the :10000, e.g. http://64.33.88.23:10000. If you
have a router, you have to turn on "port forwarding" and direct port
10000 requests to your server's LAN IP.

I got Samba (SMB) and AFS running simply by turning on the services in
WebMin. AFS over IP allows me to log-in to my server from any Mac OS,
anywhere in the world (provided I remember to turn on port forwarding
for port 548 on my router). You do have to specify what directories to
serve up but it's easy to figure out how to do that with the WebMin
Samba Windows File Sharing interface.

You control what's activated at boot time with "Bootup and Shutdown"
(I'd avoid the Red Hat services manager).

PS Don't bother with the AppleTalk WebMin module that's out there on
the web. It doesn't seem to work properly anymore (too old).

Eric.