Samba Server Questions

Art Anderson a.andersons at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 9 13:30:56 MST 2004

I've recently installed Yellowdog Linux 3.0 on a G4 computer (I can give specs
if you all want them). We have Samba server up and running for our Windows
co-workers.

Connecting a Mac to the server is a breeze.

There are a few issues that I can't seem to overcome.

1. Mac users can come and go all day to the machine. However, the icons for
some (randomly) of the files that might be placed on the server, become
corrupted. For example, a Microsoft Word document, might end up with the
preview icon from Photoshop. Once this happens, the file is corrupted. Any
thoughts?
2. If a Mac user drops a lot of files on the machine at once, #1 (above)
happens, with the bonus that after the files are written to the server, one
mouse click, erases the files. Got me hanging how this happens, but they cease
to exist.
3. Several times we've tried to "eject" or disconnect from a shared point on
the server, and get a message that states that files are still being used be a
program on that particular Mac -- when nothing is running other than OSX.

The major problem is from our PCs.

None can connect to the machine. The PCs can see the server; and get the
correct prompt to log-in, but after that they cannot write (or read) to the
server; even though we've given them rights to do so.

Any thoughts?

=====
Art Andersons