Samba Server Questions

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 13:23:15 MST 2004

Have you tried using WebMin to control your YDL file sharing?

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:30:56 -0800 (PST), Art Anderson
<a.andersons at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I've recently installed Yellowdog Linux 3.0 on a G4 computer (I can give specs
> if you all want them). We have Samba server up and running for our Windows
> co-workers.

> 2. If a Mac user drops a lot of files on the machine at once, #1 (above)
> happens, with the bonus that after the files are written to the server, one
> mouse click, erases the files. Got me hanging how this happens, but they cease
> to exist.

I've had that happen as well. I suspect that it's a Finder issue. The
more I play with OS X's Finder (10.3.6) the more I realise how
horrible the application is.

For your Mac users you may want to turn on AFP (I use WebMin to
control every aspect of networking). Don't know anything about Windoze
since I don't have a Windoze box on my own LAN (all three of our
computers ;-).

> 3. Several times we've tried to "eject" or disconnect from a shared point on
> the server, and get a message that states that files are still being used be a
> program on that particular Mac -- when nothing is running other than OSX.

That's a quirk that's always been around on Mac OS and OS X :-(

> The major problem is from our PCs.
>
> None can connect to the machine. The PCs can see the server; and get the
> correct prompt to log-in, but after that they cannot write (or read) to the
> server; even though we've given them rights to do so.
>
> Any thoughts?

Try WebMin from <http://www.webmin.com/>!

It installs a "server" that you access by typing
http://localhost:10000 in any webbrowser (Mozilla, FireFox, lynx,
Konquerer, etc.) on your server; or it's accessible from the web if
you allow your router to pass port 10000 (or whatever port you assign)
so you'd type http://www.yourdomainname.ca:10000

Or, it's accessible via lynx if you ssh into your server... e.g. from
Terminal in OS X:
(FYI Since I always login to the same server I can !ssh to get the
shell to recall the most recent usage of ssh and be lazy)

fashionable-nonsense:~ ed$ !ssh
ssh 192.168.0.8
ed at 192.168.0.8's password:
[ed at localhost erdunbar]$ lynx http://localhost:10000

   [bottom_shadow.jpg]

   Login to Webmin
   You must enter a username and password to login to the Webmin server
   on localhost.
   Login Clear
   [ ] Remember login permanently?