Unable to install Firefox or OpenOffice on a G3 under YDL 3.0.1

JGE rcjge at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 19 08:46:03 MST 2004

Hey folks:

I'm frustrated all to hell at this point. I'm running YDL 3.0.1 on a
G3/266-Beige. On the Mac partition is OS 8.6. I've downloaded (using
Konqueror, because Mozilla won't open) Firefox and OpenOffice 1.1.3. I
can't get either to install. The "tar" pkgs are in my home directory
./home/my user directory... they open as a text file! What am I doing
wrong here?

Also on a PC running RH9 under System Settings/ there is an "Add/Remove
Applications" applet. It does not appear under YDL 3.0.1. THey are both
using Gnome.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
Gareth