Unable to install Firefox or OpenOffice on a G3 under YDL 3.0.1

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 19:09:18 MST 2004

AFAIK OOO requires you to do a _lot_ of upgrading of 3.0.1 components.
It's not something for the faint of heart. As for FireFox, you can d/l
0.10 or I have 0.9.3 on my YDL box (& still have the original RPM).

I haven't the foggiest clue if mere mortals can build FireFox from
source without doing quite a bit of fiddling (there's a reason Moz &
FireFox are waaay behind on YDL).

PS. There are two options to getting new FireFox and OO.org -- YDL 4.0
and Ubuntu 4.10.

...although, to get Ubuntu 4.10 on a Beige G3 will require a fiddling
with BootX since they don't officially support Old World machines yet
(someone wrote up a Wiki on how to do it), and I haven't seen any
comments on the YDL lists that people have installed YDL 4 on Beige
G3s... I'm holding off until I see evidence that others have
successfully installed YDL 4 on a Beige G3 _and_ aren't having
problems... my Beige G3 is doing wonderfully as a server & I'm not
about to mess with it only to have another batch of headaches

... besides, Ubuntu 4.10 on my Pismo is satisfying my Linux
experimentation urges (GNOME 2.8 and, my favourite, the Synaptic
Package Manager (it's a stunningly simple yet powerful package
manager... if you don't do anything overly complex you don't even have
to hit the command line to install packages)).

... though someone did get YDL 4.0 onto an 8600 IIRC but it seems that
they had to do a lot of fiddling to get it to install).

Eric.