Unable to install Firefox or OpenOffice on a G3 under YDL 3.0.1

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 19:17:56 MST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:46:03 -0500 (EST), JGE <rcjge at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hey folks:
>
> I'm frustrated all to hell at this point. I'm running YDL 3.0.1 on a
> G3/266-Beige. On the Mac partition is OS 8.6. I've downloaded (using
> Konqueror, because Mozilla won't open) Firefox and OpenOffice 1.1.3. I
> can't get either to install. The "tar" pkgs are in my home directory
> ./home/my user directory... they open as a text file! What am I doing
> wrong here?

Now that I think about it... do a site:terrasoftsolutions.com search
at google for installing firefox. What you need to do is add the
something or other repository (can't remember the name) to your yum
configuration file & install firefox that way (all of this is
documented in this mailing list about 2 months back!

And, now that I think about it part 2, it was GIMP 2.0 that required
all the upgrading of components to install. I don't know anything
about OO.org upgrading.

Eric.