YDL4 on iMac G4 - again

Dr.Dr.Ruediger M.Flaig flaig at hablas.com
Thu Nov 25 03:12:30 MST 2004

Sorry,  I  did not realize that Hablas would send this as HTML.
So here it is again, in plain text mode:
Greetings everyone,
having  been  very  happy  with  YDL  2.x on an antediluvian G3
(which now acts as file server for our blood bank! Three cheers
for the pale puppy!) and YDL 3.0 on a G4-iMac (17"), I have now
decided  to  upgrade  the  latter  machine  to  YDL  4.0. First
impressions: Very smooth and fast installation, not at all like
the  hour-long  clattering  and  hollering of my x86 boxes with
SuSE...  probably  due  to  the  superior  quality  of  Apple´s
hardware.  Ah,  see, the 17" screen is now properly recognized,
without  having  to  dig into the YDL archives for some obscure
settings  in  /etc. After little more than half an hour, we are
ready to go.
But then problems arise:
1.)  I am positive that I selected 1440 * 900 pixels, yet the X
system insists on a 1440 * 1050 virtual screen scrolling up and
down in arcade style. Uargh, I just don´t like this! No problem
to  switch  it  off  under  KDE  (and,  what is better, keep it
switched  off  for good), but what about other window managers?
(I  greatly  prefer  WindowMaker but can´t stand this scrolling
mania.) Does anyone know how to force X into 1440 * 900 for all
WMs?
2.)  During  startup,  there  was  a  nice  sample of the sound
system, and obviously the computer gives a lot of funny noises,
but  XMMS  somehow  won´t  work (it crashes with a segmentation
fault), and all the other players just terminate after loading.
This  used  to  work with 3.0, and I have not modified anything
about the hardware. Any suggestions?
3.)  Whereas  #1  and  #2  are  not  really serious (after all,
there´s  nothing  really  wrong  about  KDE,  in  spite  of its
resemblance to a certain other OS *g*...), the following really
p---s me off:
I used to have a DSL connection -- the German flavour, T-DSL --
which  worked nicely under YDL3.0, apart from the fact that the
root  password  was  required  to  turn it on and off. Now this
problem seems to have been tackled -- but the connection itself
simply fails! I can get the iMac connected to my laptop using a
crossover  cable,  so  obviously  the iMac´s hard- and software
cannot suffer from any serious incompatibility.
Whenever  I  try  to get online, however (with the proper cable
and  all  the  code  numbers...  they  work  fine with the SuSE
laptop),   I   am  told  flatly  that  "the  device  cannot  be
initialized",  and that´s it. Maybe the problem could be solved
quite  easily,  only  I  feel  that  I  would need a *bit* more
information  about  the  nature  of the error than just this...
prefer  computers  to  give  informations,  not just a "Ise not
workee, massa, no no" message as under Wintendo or 68k-MacOS.
Has anyone succeeded in establishing a DSL connection with YDL4
so far?
I  don´t  think  that my hardware configuration matters greatly
here, but here it is anyway:
G4 iMac, 1 GHz, 17" display
768 MB of RAM, "eighty" (75) GB HD
DVD/CD-RW (whadda they call it?)
USB floppy
T-DSL internet connection (supposed to be)
Good luck to all of you,
   Ruediger

Dr. Dr. Ruediger Marcus Flaig
Institute for Immunology