Mac-On-Linux - video problems

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 30 19:21:40 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 18:11, Jeff Yowell wrote:
> I got Mac-On-Linux to start up, but I think I have
> messed up the video settings - it looks grainy and
> hard to see anything in the screen.  How do I get
> back to the default video preferences for this?
> I looked at the .video file in etc/mol and it can't
> be edited.
> By the way - it says 640x480x75 - so I think that is the problem.
>
> I'm using a Pismo.
>
> Help - anyone?

Thats weird. My /etc/mol/molrc.video file show 640/480/75. I never
touched that file. (I have mol version 0.9.71 installed) Typos?
About your weird colors; MOL default to 32 bits depth, does your Linux
video is set to a lower depth, like 8 or 16 bits? Showing 32 bits stuffs
on a 8/16 bits display can't be pretty :-) Check this out...

You sure can edit this file. All you need is root's privileges. As a
'user' you're basically only allowed to edit files within your home
directories ( /home/username/ )
 This is how GNU/Linux has been designed -> with security in mind.

There is several ways to get root's privileges and this site cover it
all quite well:
 <http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Updating+YDL/Doing+things+as+root>

1- sudo
2- su
3- login as 'root' from the login screen instead of your 'user' account.

Many people love and use sudo but this one need special
configurations... see man pages 'sudo' and 'sudoers' (input 'man sudo'
or 'man sudoers' in a terminal) I personally prefer 'su' since its quick
on the get-go. But personal tastes are not quite arguable... Here is
some tricks I gathered with su:

'su' will provide a user with temporary superuser privileges. In
otherwords, this give steroids to 'user'.
'su - username' will switch that user account. Default is root; if you
do not specify a username (just 'su -'), su  will switch to root.. Input
'exit' -OR- <CTRL-D> to exit su mode.

'su --c '<command>' will execute that single command and exit right away
upon completion of that command.

In your case, I'd do:
  ]# su --c 'nedit /etc/mol/molrc.video' [ENTER]

PS. I would rather mail the default .video file to you instead of
posting it here because I'd rather avoid bloating this list... Let me
know if you want it.

-Andrew