Speedtouch USB

Andrew Mason andrew at assertis.net
Mon Dec 6 11:17:02 MST 2004

Hi guys,
having a lot of trouble getting my speedtouch rev 4?(silver) usb modem.
I have downloaded the firmware from the the speedtouch site and managed
to compile the speedtouch management software (speedtouch-setup,
speedtouch-start, speedtouch-stop).

As far as i can tell they create a file called speedtouch-pppoa in
/etc/ppp/peers/ and then call
pppd call speedtouch-pppoa

possibly pppoa3.. I'm under OSX atm so unfortunately i can't check.

I ran the speedtouch-setup script and everything seemed to go ok.
I run speedtouch-start, and it just exits, no erroring or anything.

Basically it dials (as far as i can tell) and then creates a ppp0.
However there is not an ip address assigned to ppp0.

I have recompiled the standard ydl4.0 kernel with support for the
speedtouch usb, and I have this module plus the pppoatm module loaded
and working as far as i can tell.

I love ydl 4.0. Its fantastic. I tried ubuntu and while it worked
really well (with the modem too), i just didn't have KDE and isn't
anywhere near as polished. I'd really like to be able to keep YDL.

thanks alot
Andrew M