Hfsutils and mounting a firewire drive?

John Davis johnaldavis at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 7 01:57:07 MST 2004

Hi everyone,
                  I did a "modprobe" for "hfsutils" and found that the
module wasn't there so I got the third cd of YDL and located the
hfsutils-x11-3.2.6-5.ppc.rpm file (I assume this is the correct one). I
did the usual rpm -U  and then did the modprobe again but nothing was
found so I installed it again, said it was already installed so  then I
did a verify then it said not installed!!!!!!! i don't know what is
going on? Are there any special privileges for the files on the extra
two cd's?

                 I followed the instructions on the HowTo page at
Yellowdog referring to mounting a firewire drive , did the tail -f
/var/log/messages  command and then turned on my drive, you are
supposed to get an indication as to what sda it is well, I got from
sda1 to sda12????? Does that mean my drive is not readable or what? By
the way I tried mounting them all and none were found in the fstab
directory.

               These are exactly the same problems I encountered with
YDL3, except for the internet connection nothing has changed. I
couldn't mount my OSX  drive then anyway, maybe it is just a lost
cause? Another quick question too, why does the Audio Player try to
read the inserted YDL disk and therefore I couldn't unmount it as it
was taking an eternity to realise it couldn't read it.

             John, baffled again.