What the?!?!?!? Reboot out of nowhere!

Dakidd dakidd at sonic.net
Wed Dec 15 06:00:19 MST 2004

So I'm sitting here in front of my PM 7500 running MacOS 9.1, using it as a
TV set to watch "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", when my PM 7600 running
YDL 3.0, which is sitting just to the right of the 7500, idle, nobody
logged on, with the monitor powered down, goes "BONG!" for no detectable
reason.

Power up the monitor, and find that sure enough, it's at the stage where
the screen has the standard "MacOS 9.1 is starting up" stuff going on. Wait
for YDL to bootstrap itself, and get the "looks like your system shut down
uncleanly" message, punch "Y" to do the filesystem check, and wait for
things to finish starting. (Boy, does THAT sound like an oxymoron...
"finish starting" indeed...)

Once finished, I can find *NOTHING* that tells me why the beast
spontaneously decided to restart itself. Nothing in /var/log/ (or at least,
nothing that I recognize as being useful information) no core dump files
anywhere that I've tried looking (Where do I even START looking for
something like that in a situation like this? Nobody was logged in, so
where would a core dump land? If I had something logged in, I'd expect a
core dump to land in that login's $HOME), no logfile entries that look even
a little out of the ordinary - Just an out-of-the-blue full reboot.

No, it didn't happen due to somebody hacking me remotely - The machine in
question is *TOTALLY* isolated - No network connections of any type -
internet, ethernet, appletalk, or anything else.

On the off chance that it actually means anything, local time was 03:46 by
my watch, and the boot.log file is showing a timestamp of 03:47 on its
first entry of this reboot.

Hardware: PM7600, Newer Technology MaxPower G3 at 350 CPU card, No-name PCI
USB card that "just worked" from the minute it was plugged in several
months ago, with attached Logitech Wheelmouse, model #M-BJ58, and Alps
Adjustable ADB three-button mouse, AppleDesign ADB keyboard, Built-in
Apple-issue CD-ROM (Unsure of exact model - Whatever the 7600 shipped with
new, probably) 2-and-change gig HD partitioned with a near microscopic HFS
partition to hold a stripped-to-the-bone MacOS 9.1, with the rest of it
given to a base install of "YDL 3.0 (Sirius)", and 300+ (I think the exact
number is 346 megs, but I'd have to go digging to be certain, and my Linux
skills ain't up to doing that) megs of RAM.

Anybody got any clues/hints for me? What triggered this? Is it going to
start happening regularly?

Don Bruder -  dakidd at sonic.net      <--- Preferred Email - unmunged
I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart