Missing characters in MySQL

Niels Riis Kristensen nrk at nrk-gruppen.dk
Wed Dec 22 05:19:43 MST 2004

Hi

A have a friend that finally convinced me to switch server platform
from Mac OSX to YDL. But I have a major problem with MySQL (or PHP)
that, if not fixed, will make me switch back as soon as I can finish
the OSX install!

I live in Denmark, Europe and in my country we have a few special
characters that are special to our language. These characters are off
course richly represented in my databases, some of which are pretty
large (over 10.000 entries). My problem is, that these characters do
not display when I make a php request from the websites. When I check
the fields in PhpMyAdmin or Webmin the characters are there alright and
the internal character set is the same as my Mac OSX server
(ISO-8859-1). What is really worrying my, is that if I make let's say a
search from YDL's mozilla browser to my Mac OSX server the characters
doesn't show! Off course they show in my duplicate Mac search on the
same database on the same machine.

This is a major hurdle for me and if I can't get this to work this
would be my shortest participation in a mail list ever!

Can anyone please help me?

Niels Riis Kristensen
(nrk at nrk-gruppen.dk)

NRK Group