mon prompt after new kernel

Jon Smith misguidedute at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 17:58:40 MST 2004

Hello

Decided I would make a big jump from YDL 2.3 to 4.0 this weekend and ran
into some problems. I left my old copy of bootx in place and that seems
to work fine. I made the default kernel the default from the YDL 4.0
CD's and copied it into my linux kernel folder in the system folder. I
then copied the ram disk image to my system folder under OS 8.6.
All seems pretty simple so far I then reboot and select the new kernel
and boot into linux instead of a regular prompt I end up with mon> for
my prompt. I was hoping to see the install for YDL 4.0 but it never
comes up. What have  I done incorrectly?
I did not blow away my previous Linux partition is this what I need to
do first?
This is on an Old World PPC 8600/300 4 gb drive 100 mb for MAC OS and 96
mb Ram. I just use it for a home web server and trying to learn things
here and there.

Jon