mon prompt after new kernel

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Mon Dec 27 18:22:17 MST 2004

> All seems pretty simple so far I then reboot and select the new kernel
> and boot into linux instead of a regular prompt I end up with mon> for
> my prompt.

I know this issue. YDL4 default kernel just won't boot on OW. I've hit
the same problem. The solution is to use this contributed kernel:

http://shiner.info/?files/Yellow%20Dog%20Linux%204/kernel
name = vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7

Use this kernel for both installation and normal use.

> This is on an Old World PPC 8600/300 4 gb drive 100 mb for MAC OS and 96
> mb Ram.

This is not much RAM. I not sure Anaconda will let you install at all.
YDL3 would be a better choice by then.