mon prompt after new kernel

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Dec 27 19:29:11 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 20:22, Andrew wrote:

> > This is on an Old World PPC 8600/300 4 gb drive 100 mb for MAC OS and 96
> > mb Ram.
>
> This is not much RAM. I not sure Anaconda will let you install at all.
> YDL3 would be a better choice by then.

I agree.  You should have at least 400Mg RAM available to YDL.  In fact
get as much as you can afford.  Generally as you have an older machine,
you will need the RAM even more than if you had a more modern one.
Strange isn't it!  Consider that the kernel is getting more complex as
you move up the linux 2.6 series.

Using YDL 3.0/YDL 3.0.1 will keep you in linux the 2.4.22 series.
Stable and reliable.  Moving up to the linux 2.6 series from there
however will be an absolute horror and trial of patience.  I run YDL
3.0.1 and got my kernel up to 2.6.5 where I have decided to stay put.

As regards YDL 4.0 and running it on OW systems such as my 233MHz G3
Beige system it may just be time to just save up and get a new Mac with
YDL 4.0 preinstalled direct from Terra Soft without, bless their souls,
voiding the Apple warranty.