mon prompt after new kernel

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Mon Dec 27 21:20:29 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 21:29, Derick Centeno wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 20:22, Andrew wrote:
> >
> > > This is on an Old World PPC 8600/300 4 gb drive 100 mb for MAC OS and 96
> > > mb Ram.
> >
> > This is not much RAM. I not sure Anaconda will let you install at all.
> > YDL3 would be a better choice by then.
>
> I agree.  You should have at least 400Mg RAM available to YDL.  In fact
> get as much as you can afford.  Generally as you have an older machine,
> you will need the RAM even more than if you had a more modern one.
> Strange isn't it!  Consider that the kernel is getting more complex as
> you move up the linux 2.6 series.
>
> Using YDL 3.0/YDL 3.0.1 will keep you in linux the 2.4.22 series.
> Stable and reliable.  Moving up to the linux 2.6 series from there
> however will be an absolute horror and trial of patience.  I run YDL
> 3.0.1 and got my kernel up to 2.6.5 where I have decided to stay put.
>
> As regards YDL 4.0 and running it on OW systems such as my 233MHz G3
> Beige system it may just be time to just save up and get a new Mac with
> YDL 4.0 preinstalled direct from Terra Soft without, bless their souls,
> voiding the Apple warranty.

YDL4 can use YDL3 kernels. I've installed and tested it with 2.4.22g.
Works great, really. I came back to 2.6.9 just because its *more better*
yet a bit latent and gkrellm's 'Disk' krell wouldn't show hdx activity
unless I recompile the 2.4 kernel with *_BLK_STATS option or something.

So far so good!