Article on YDL 4.0

Saverio D'Agostino sev at clara.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 15:38:35 MST 2005

It made for interesting reading, I've posted a reply to one of the replies
which I found quite arrogant in its scathing of the author for struggling
with RPM's.

I've posted it here also, its not a criticism, or praise, merely looking at
it through the eyes of a total newbie!

Interesting points,

I am a complete virgin to Linux.  I downloaded the install images for YDL
3.0.1 from the mirrorsite, and set about following the instructions to
install them.

After some fun and games with partioning on a 400mhz Tibook I installed the
Distro without huccup.
To this day I still cannot work out how to enable my ADSL connection.  - In
OS X I have Network Control Panel, in YDL I have a boot screen telling me
that my ethernet is detected but that is where it stops.

I installed Linux because the engineering software which was unavailable on
OS X is becoming available on linux, yet I gather that much of the code
still relates to intel or and derived processors rather than the PPC
chipset. - rendering my PPC linux nothing more than a curio with some
installed software.

Like most people MOL never worked from the onset, but because of PPC issues,
I can't use WINE either.

Please don't read this as a rant, my point is this, I have never known
anything more that Mac OS, and unfortunately windows.  I don't know a line
of code (I have bought a beginners unix guide because I genuinely want to
learn), and I wanted to try something different.

But when something as simple as logging on becomes so hard (conversley,
loggin in via dial up was a peice of cake!) it kind of becomes soul
destroying.  I bought  a book on redhat Linux also.

So where does this leave me?, do I buy an intel or AMD box to run the
software I want to run on Linux? or do I just stick with OS X as it is just
.... easier?
I have to say, that I do love KDE, the little things- single clicking a file
to open it, just holding the pointer over a file to select it- Absolutely
inspired!!

The multiple desktops are great, something that Codetek virtual desktop can
never replace.
... and the speed....

Wishlist for OS X? - that a full version upgrade does away with all the
cutesy cute padding and gimmicky little 'new features' and just gives us a
system that is not only unix based, but is as genuinely fast as hardcore
unix boxes or a Linux system, and true multiple desktop support... "this new
OS X v.x is essentially panther but 50% quicker, takes up 50% less disk
space, and runs fine on a G4 400 processor with only 64mb of ram!! "... and
then we woke up and it was morning!

or

Linux that is more welcoming to the new user, I joined the YDL newbie forum,
but the truth is, that a nice little manual to hold my hand through the most
basic of things - setting up internet, downloading applications, installing
applications, and removing and updating applications- basically a total you
have never been here before so let me speak to you like a child guide!

Ultimately new users like myself are like children, and I love the
satisfaction of the problem solving don't get me wrong, but I really would
like to start by knowing the very basics in the most basic of ways, I want
to feel that learning unix should come as a desire to master the new system,
not mandatory because if I don't I will be stuffed as far as getting
anywhere or making anything work is concerned.

Terrasoft's guides on the net were not in the least bit helpfull nor was the
YDL FAQ site.
I know that YDL and Linux is still an infant in the face of Windows and OS
X, but to an outsider it is intimidating and a truly frightening prospect to
change or even to explore, and until such initial experiences change, it
will only ever be a niche system with allbeit ferocious power.  I hope that
one day it will be as user friendly as X, whilst still retaining its svelte
speed.

Thanks for reading!!