Article on YDL 4.0

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 18:12:59 MST 2005

> I installed Linux because the engineering software which was unavailable on
> OS X is becoming available on linux, yet I gather that much of the code
> still relates to intel or and derived processors rather than the PPC
> chipset. - rendering my PPC linux nothing more than a curio with some
> installed software.

If you're still having problems accessing the software, chances are
you can compile it to run under OS X using Apple's X11 APIs and
installing any libraries you happen to need (OS X is afterall a full
blown UNIX, it's just much smoother to operate than Linuxes... of
course, that's half the satisfaction with Linux... figuring it out for
yourself).

> Like most people MOL never worked from the onset, but because of PPC issues,
> I can't use WINE either.

For some (really dumb) reason YDL 3.0.1 shipped with MOL kernel
headers compiled for the SMP (multi-processor) kernel. The standard
advice given to people to solve this problem is to recompile the MOL
kernel headers but I haven't found anyone other than the "experts" who
actually got that route to work. I found that replacing the single
processor kernel with the appropriate SMP kernel was a much quicker
solution (& the multi-processor kernel works just as well as the
single processor one).

Eric.