mp3 audio / video problem

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 5 15:48:54 MST 2005

Messrs. Yowell and JMotta:

Jeff Yowell wrote:
> It doesn't work because the developers for Yellow Dog
> decided not to have any sound support in version 4.0.

My impression is that the developers of Fedora, on which YDL 4 is based,
made the decision to change the sound architecture significantly (at
least, sound did not work for me when I tried to install Fedora RC2 on
my Intel machine), and that decision got relayed down the chain to Terra
Soft's non-implementation of sound in YDL 4.0. It's not entirely Terra
Soft's fault.

That being said, what *were* they thinking? (I address this rhetorical
question to both Red Hat and Terra Soft.) And what's up with not
supporting MP3 playback?

Best wishes,
Clint