need help with SCSI tape drive

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Jan 6 08:36:06 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 18:21, Bryan Berndt wrote:
> I have a fresh install of YDL 3.01 on a B&W G3, 1 GB RAM, and a 20 GB
> ATA drive in the default bay.  THere is a factory CD drive in the one
> 5.25" bay.
>
> I have a Adaptec PoweDomain 2930CU SCSI card installed, connected to a
> HP SureStore DDS3 tape drive in an old LaCie external CD-R case. THis is
> at SCSI ID 6.
>
> When I try to use tar to back directories up, it says:
> /dev/st0: No such device or address
>
> I know the computer knows that there is a device on the scsi bus...
>

> What information do I need to provide for help in this situation?
>
> thanks for your time.

You may find a reference on the YDL FAQ site helpful in regards to
getting a handle on this problem.  I run YDL 3.0.1 with kernel 2.6.5; I
did that by downloading the source for kernel 2.6.5 (which at the time
was the most stable available kernel -- YDL 4 had not been released yet
-- and built the kernel.  The instructions provided with the reference
below will work with kernel 2.4.22 (or whatever the original kernel
provided with YDL 3.0/3.0.1 was.

http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start/BootX+and+ide-scsi

Best wishes....