YD 4.0

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 07:10:23 MST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:54:56 -0800, Brian Balthazor <bbalthaz at cisco.com> wrote:

> I understood one of the benefits of linux was is small footprint.
> I was somewhat surprised to see the YD image is 3.6 GB
>
> I've been trying to download the release from a number of
> mirror sites to no avail. I ordered the disk, though it has not
> yet arrived. Do I truly need to download all 3.6GB to get
> an image of YD up and running?
>
> G5 dual cpu, 10.3.7

And that distro that we dare not mention its name pops up yet again ;P

Not sure if Ubuntu supports G5 duals yet (you may have to run the
"Hoary" development version but it's actually suprisingly stable (my
YDL 3.0.1 kernel panics once in a blue moon (sometime in GNOME running
FireFox or Moizilla) whereas Ubuntu in hoary no longer even crashes
x11 (they switched to x.org)).

Anyway, Ubuntu is a one CD d/l for the full version and a group of
users is working on a minimal install version (using icewm instead of
GNOME IIRC) that is supposedly down to 400-500 MB for a fully function
GUI Linux (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/installation-custom/talkback/1103218967/).

Eric.